Pages

Monday, May 15, 2017

May Ramblings

I spent Mother's Day yesterday with my son who was sweet enough to take me to two of my favorite places, The Kanapaha Botanical Gardens in Gainesville and The Waldo Flea Market which is about a 30 minutes apart.

I love strolling through the Botanical Gardens when the flowers are in bloom though May in Florida can be hard on flowers as well as the drought we have experienced over the years. Still the scent of Jasmine was almost intoxicating, some roses were in full blooming glory and the bamboo trees took my breath away.

some potted plants
more in pots
lizard posing for a photo
roses in the herb garden
Buddha among the Bamboo
Bug sculpture
The day was perfectly balanced with sun and clouds, a nice warm breeze and the wonderful company of my son.  The day before we had much needed rain for most of the day and it was nice to wake up to sunshine and my own garden thriving though it was too early for the blooms to be open.

I finished the hand embroidery on the Goddess of Willendorf piece she is just off the hoop though so she will need to be pressed before I finish her and while looking at the photo I may add another flower between the two flowers above her head.
hand embroidered Willendorf
If you aren't familiar with the Goddess of Willendorf she is inspired by: The 'Venus of Willendorf' is the name that was given to a female figurine that was found in 1908 by an archeologist named Joseph Szombathy in a Aurignacian loess deposit near the town of Willendorf in Austria.
The statue was carved from oolitic limestone and was colored with red orche. It measures 110 mm in height (4.4 inches) and is dated 30,000 and 25,000 BC.

I was fighting off the last vestiges of the bug I had for two weeks so I plan to be back to my normal self this week and hopefully not as tired as I was over the last few weeks so I can start a few of the embroidery projects I have planned.

I will link up at Supermom No Cape and Kathy's Quilts today.
https://kathysquilts.blogspot.ca/2017/05/slow-sunday-stitching_14.html
http://www.supermomnocape.com/vintage-embroidery-monday-stitchery-link-party-110/

3 comments:

  1. I loved the garden pictures. Your embroidery looks beautiful. Thanks for the picture of the figure. Your embroidery makes more sense that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your embroidery is exquisite, such detail. Wow! what a character to design and embellish. So arty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the embroidery! And what a wonderful mother's day you had!

    ReplyDelete